+ Reply to Thread
    Officer

Status
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kagami has ended, what are your thoughts?

So... Kagami has finally ended, it turned out to be shorter than we expected, due to it getting axed.

Share your thoughts and initial expectations of this series, and how you felt about the series as a whole... or maybe even your ideal ending.

Last edited by otamega; 02-27-2012 at 04:45 AM.

2. Description
    content
    Denizen of the Hawk

Status
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looking forward for a new manga series and my heart cried at your speech..
    The Neko Picture Below is Hiding Something -- I wonder what it is...

4. Description
    content
  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ib For This Useful Post:

Orelia Penelopy (02-28-2012)

Ultimate Lune Fan

Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I see in WSJ : WSJ people are made up of 33% Narutards, 33% One-Piecetards and 34%Bleachtaards

My final thoughts for KnKnH:
    To be honest, initially,I thought Kagami was nothing but "yet another generic manga about boring stuff".
    However, the story turned out to be pretty good ! It is very innovative of the author to think about something like the protagonist being
    stuck in a magical Love-mirror trying to swoon the people he loved. I also liked the fanservice of the series, well, being a pervert, can you blame me ?

However, the "bad" part of the series is rather, ironically, the plot of the protagonist being trapped too. Despite being trapped in the magical love-mirror, it is rather
    obvious that once Harisugawa is out of the mirror,its gonna end. And if the author wants to extend the time of Harisugawa being in the mirror, things will go too cliched.
    However, if the serires continue without the mirror, the title will lose its meaning. So in a sense, although the plot of being trapped in an object is rather interesting, it is also tricky.

Nevertheless, the manga has brought me laughs and cries every time I read it and is undoubtedly one of the most interesting manga I've ever read !
    Perhaps the greatest part of the manga is that I can relate parts of myself to certain characters (ie. Suda, Harisugawa and Tsubaki), this is what I think is most important for
    all plots of any story. If the story did not relate to you, its not worth reading from my view point.

So all in all, I really enjoyed the series and although the manga may have ended, Kagami will always be immortalized in my memories ! Hope to see more from the author !
    Last edited by the p-man 2; 02-27-2012 at 05:18 AM.

7. Description
    content

Status
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The forced ending is a little disappointing...It was great until that"forget the feeling for each other"thing comes up.
    other than that..

9. Description
    content

Status
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the epilogue should've been about the future in an Ichigo 100% style, not like this XD

11. Description
    content
    Real life Sugisaki Ken

Status
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah well...I actually liked it, pretty obvious cos my favorite genre are romance + comedy...

But yeah, seeing the setting and the plot....I thought that this is not gonna last...there's not much conflict or development could be made out of the setting...
    Just that it started from when harisugawa was trapped inside the mirror, and then? It'll all be over when he got out. And logically, reasonably enough, they won't look until the end of the world, making their way out of battles and stuff to get an answer, right? Just saying. No offensive means.

Not to mention it's serialized in Jump...not a pretty good place for romance + comedy mangas (Though I have to say Bakuman is an exception....one thing in my opinion that make bakuman can last in Jump, it's Jump's stereotype: dreams and effort).

It should've been serialized in Sunday or Magazine or other publishers, there are quite an amount of romance + comedy/romance/comedy mangas have been successful and well-known outside Jump...
    I guess we know Kaminomi can be taken as an example. And Seo Kouji's works.
    Well, that's it I guess...
    Last edited by SilvioDante; 02-27-2012 at 08:08 AM.

13. Description
    content

Status
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree that this series shouldn't be in Jump, it would probably do better in other magazines. With that said, I do think there are some problems at the beginning of the series. Not necessarily the concept, but how it was implemented.

I felt that the secret of the mirror was revealed too quickly and that there was an expert on the mirror so close by makes it too simple for them to find answers. Part of what makes the mirror so interesting was that it was mysterious, but if you have a person who can give you all the answers to it then that takes away the journey to find out the mystery. I also felt that the love triangle happened too soon. Although I do respect the author for changing it up, the story started to slip after Saki confessed.

However having said all that, I thought that this series still had room to grow. I think one of this author's strong point is the side characters. The side characters in Mx0 was very interesting so when Tsubaki and Suda was introduced I thought that was a good way to go. More new characters could be introduced like that and then they could interact with Harisugawa just like how Suda did on the mountain.

The darkness in the mirror could also have potential for more story. For example, if you go further in there might be a whole new world in there. Or there could be multiple curse mirrors with similar powers and everyone gets trap in different parts of the darkness.

So yes, I'm pretty sad that this series ended. It's too bad, I enjoy KANO Yasuhiro's work especially the characters. Although, the main character for a lot of Yaushiro's work are very similar to each other. Not necessarily a bad thing though.

15. Description
    content

Status
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neofreed0m View Post
    I do agree that this series shouldn't be in Jump, it would probably do better in other magazines. With that said, I do think there are some problems at the beginning of the series. Not necessarily the concept, but how it was implemented.

I felt that the secret of the mirror was revealed too quickly and that there was an expert on the mirror so close by makes it too simple for them to find answers. Part of what makes the mirror so interesting was that it was mysterious, but if you have a person who can give you all the answers to it then that takes away the journey to find out the mystery. I also felt that the love triangle happened too soon. Although I do respect the author for changing it up, the story started to slip after Saki confessed.

However having said all that, I thought that this series still had room to grow. I think one of this author's strong point is the side characters. The side characters in Mx0 was very interesting so when Tsubaki and Suda was introduced I thought that was a good way to go. More new characters could be introduced like that and then they could interact with Harisugawa just like how Suda did on the mountain.

The darkness in the mirror could also have potential for more story. For example, if you go further in there might be a whole new world in there. Or there could be multiple curse mirrors with similar powers and everyone gets trap in different parts of the darkness.

So yes, I'm pretty sad that this series ended. It's too bad, I enjoy KANO Yasuhiro's work especially the characters. Although, the main character for a lot of Yaushiro's work are very similar to each other. Not necessarily a bad thing though.
    Agree with your take on this manga. I doubt I could have said it better . I'd say that Yaushiro mistake was not having a workable backup plan in case his initial story wasn't popular enough. Even though this was short, I still enjoyed this manga.
    Last edited by basic; 02-28-2012 at 12:06 AM.

17. Description
    content

Status
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This series had some potential, definitely wanted to see more of the dad and Saki, the two best characters in this series. But tbh, the story didn't really throw in interesting situations. There were one or two but still
    "Happiness lies in our destiny like a cloudless sky before the storms of tomorrow destroy the dreams of yesterday and last week." -Linus

19. Description
    content

Status
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otamega View Post
    So... Kagami has finally ended, it turned out to be shorter than we expected, due to it getting axed.

Share your thoughts and initial expectations of this series, and how you felt about the series as a whole... or maybe even your ideal ending.

Sorry. I haven't read 'Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa' yet but I'm interested about what happened. What do you mean 'getting axed' and why? I just read a little bit of the beginning and I think it's cool and since it's quite short, I might give it a try. :)

21. Description
    content

Status
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that this kind of series run nice and well through 4 to 6 volumes. A crazy race with turnovers, punchlines, some sweet chapters and other ones with a little bit of drama. This series had a good starting point, quite good art, and likeable characters, although not well developed due, possibly, to the rush to get better audience scores, and the inminent guillotine. I hope the next one, by this author, would be better accepted by the readers and have a more adequate live.

Take a taste of "Gacha-Gacha", a good example for me, of romantic comedy with a crazy plot. It has two parts completely independent, although related, that shows a nice plot with a fair lenght.
    Last edited by Caminante; 02-28-2012 at 06:48 AM.

23. Description
    content

Status
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the epilogue sux

25. Description
    content
    Officer

Status
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EyZi View Post
    Sorry. I haven't read 'Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa' yet but I'm interested about what happened. What do you mean 'getting axed' and why? I just read a little bit of the beginning and I think it's cool and since it's quite short, I might give it a try. :)
    Somewhere in the middle of this series, it was quite obvious that the pace picked up and the plot seemed to be rushing by too fast. I think it was because the mangaka realized that popularity was dropping (Kagami's rankings in WSJ were quite low at that time), and it wasn't long before the higher ups at WSJ would decide to end it. If you read Bakuman you would know about the process.

27. Description
    content

Status
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest chapter was bad. It was way better the 28th as the final one.

29. Description
    content

Status
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i liked the manga as a whole and i wish it could have continued
    hahahaha

31. Description
    content

Status
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading Bakuman you wonder why the editing department even allowed this manga to be published.

The first chapter was kind of fun but starting from chapter two it became clear that the whole mirror setting was to limited. You can't have keep the main character in the mirror for few hundreds chapters and you can't create enough funny situations to keep him in the mirror.

What might have worked better if the mirror plot was introduced much much later. For example start the story with the main characters discovering/playing with different magical mirrors
    and then eventually get trapped in the love mirror.

Another issue with the story was that you couldn't really introduce a serious love rival that would steal away the girl ,kind of what happend in like Kimi no Iru Machi with Eba, because of the tarted children.

33. Description
    content
+ Reply to Thread